“Forget the outside world and dance without worries” sounds like a brilliant ethos and an evening we all need once in a while. This idea is the premise behind Soul Juice in Brunico, Italy, “founded in a necessity for an open minded space where people could enjoy themselves”. Each night is provided with juicy artwork by designer Daniél Niederkofler whose works flaunt his interest in graphic design, animation and illustration.
Venezuelan designer Daniél, is now based in south Tirol, Italy and recently completed his studies in graphic design in Austria. “I like to create work that is funny, bold and somehow weird,” says the designer. These three attributes are representative in his work for Soul Juice, each image utilises a candy-like colour palette, referencing acid house smileys, pizza slices and bowling bowls – what every good club night needs – right?
Asked to contribute by the founders of the collective, its title was the designer’s first creation with the team and raw sketches of a creative direction followed. “The design we chose is influenced by African LP covers and retro games,” he explains.“The graphic is based on a simple grid, creating a modular system that gives me the freedom to create a range of variations.” Each poster is designed around the centre, “always a main element that connects to the collectives name”. From there,“the colour palette refers to the idea of a vibrant environment. The modules are filled with information and secondary elements like patterns and other symbols".
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design