How late are we to the Devin Troy Strother party? About two years late. Do we care? No we don’t; we’re just really glad we got here at all. We only came across Devin’s work last week thanks to photographer Brigitte Sire and her excellent behind-the-scenes photo shoots with a few of America’s most exciting creative talents. Included among them was Devin and his bold, witty mixed media creations.
From his Brooklyn studio, Devin creates these potent canvases strewn with thick scrawls of polychromatic acrylic, found ephemera and wonderfully stylised female characters that parade carefree across his extraordinary landscapes. Part platform game, part comic book Devin’s images all contain humorous narratives influenced by his environmental surroundings and contemporary culture at large. Just look at those brilliant titles!
- Another week over, it's Best of the Web!
- Joseph Harmon's warped intricate works unveiled at new show in Brooklyn
- Sophie Littman captures the underlying awkwardness of a village orchestra
- New York-based agency T&T&T are in it for “$$$$$, fame and graphic bliss”
- The psychedelic world of Dexter Navy
- Photographer Ilyes Griyeb takes us to Senegal's salt lakes
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations