How late are we to the Devin Troy Strother party? About two years late. Do we care? No we don’t; we’re just really glad we got here at all. We only came across Devin’s work last week thanks to photographer Brigitte Sire and her excellent behind-the-scenes photo shoots with a few of America’s most exciting creative talents. Included among them was Devin and his bold, witty mixed media creations.
From his Brooklyn studio, Devin creates these potent canvases strewn with thick scrawls of polychromatic acrylic, found ephemera and wonderfully stylised female characters that parade carefree across his extraordinary landscapes. Part platform game, part comic book Devin’s images all contain humorous narratives influenced by his environmental surroundings and contemporary culture at large. Just look at those brilliant titles!
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery