How late are we to the Devin Troy Strother party? About two years late. Do we care? No we don’t; we’re just really glad we got here at all. We only came across Devin’s work last week thanks to photographer Brigitte Sire and her excellent behind-the-scenes photo shoots with a few of America’s most exciting creative talents. Included among them was Devin and his bold, witty mixed media creations.
From his Brooklyn studio, Devin creates these potent canvases strewn with thick scrawls of polychromatic acrylic, found ephemera and wonderfully stylised female characters that parade carefree across his extraordinary landscapes. Part platform game, part comic book Devin’s images all contain humorous narratives influenced by his environmental surroundings and contemporary culture at large. Just look at those brilliant titles!
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s