How late are we to the Devin Troy Strother party? About two years late. Do we care? No we don’t; we’re just really glad we got here at all. We only came across Devin’s work last week thanks to photographer Brigitte Sire and her excellent behind-the-scenes photo shoots with a few of America’s most exciting creative talents. Included among them was Devin and his bold, witty mixed media creations.
From his Brooklyn studio, Devin creates these potent canvases strewn with thick scrawls of polychromatic acrylic, found ephemera and wonderfully stylised female characters that parade carefree across his extraordinary landscapes. Part platform game, part comic book Devin’s images all contain humorous narratives influenced by his environmental surroundings and contemporary culture at large. Just look at those brilliant titles!
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project