All hail December, king among months, when drinking in the week becomes the norm and children everywhere learn that advent calendars aren’t nearly as fun as people make out. But while the rest of the world winds down into a pre Christmas torpor, here at It’s Nice That we step up and keep the good stuff coming. A conference and a new magazine you say? Ambassador you are really spoiling us…
Next Friday (December 9) sees In Progress take place at The Barbican, a look back on the big hits of 2011 and a look forward to see how they will shape 2012 and beyond. There’s a ridiculous roster of big names ready to take the stage and a handful of tickets still available, so what the heck are you waiting for?
In other BIG NEWS you will know by now that issue No.7 of our magazine was launched on Monday, and we don’t mind saying, well it’s a bit embarrassing, but it’s AMAZING. With an eye-catching redesign, a host of great features and a naked Brazilian man having a shower on the front, we’re prouder than a camera-toting parent watching their kid’s first nativity play.
And of course the good times keep on rolling online where we are counting down to our Review of the Year. Set to launch on the week of December 19 it’ll be a rootin-tootin rundown revelling in the best 2011 threw up for our delectation, and it’ll bounce right though to the New Year.
So be ready gentle readers, 2011 ain’t over yet….
- Thomas Prior captures a Mexican festival involving exploding sledgehammers
- The misty-eyed and delicate pencil marks of Lee Kyutae
- Build’s brand identity for product design brand Plæy mirrors its playful and modular designs
- David Bailey's photographs of NW1, republished and exhibited for the first time
- Studio Mut creates a catalogue for Italian art prize that celebrates up-and-coming artists
- A forward-minded retrospective: behind the design of the massive Cedric Price monograph
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich