November – the calendrical bridesmaid forced to walk up the annual aisle ahead of the month everyone’s come to see. Poor, meek, cold November with a false, fixed grin. And yet, what’s this? It’s Nice That is ready to rock and roll November until her feet ache and she feels a bit dizzy. Tortuous metaphor aside, this way to find out more about our plans for the next 30 days…
Online, Student of the Month is back with a bang, courtesy of Charlie Behrens and his process-driven brilliance. It will continue to run throughout the academic year and we are keen for students in any country, studying any discipline to submit their stuff. Keep an eye out for a newly expanded student section on the site due to launch over the coming weeks.
You may have realised too that we have stepped up the number of posts we put up each day – to be honest we felt there was little point waiting if we had great content and we hope you enjoy our souped-up cultural coverage.
We are also chuffing excited about the launch of Issue 7 of the magazine. It has undergone an eye-catching redesign and will drop (as the cool kids say) later this month. There’ll be updates appearing on the site as the big day draws ever nearer, including who we’ll be featuring and how you can get your mitts on a copy.
And we are really looking forward to our In Progress conference at The Barbican on December 9. With a top roster of speakers – including Google’s Tom Uglow, Berg’s Matt Jones, Hyper Island UK’s David McCall and Lindsey Hilsum, Channel 4’s international editor – reflecting on the trends that defined 2011 and looking ahead to 2012, it is sure to be an insightful, invaluable day of cool thinky stuff. Buy your tickets here.
November, let’s do this thing.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages