When you visit the About Me page of French illustrator El Don Guillermo’s website, you’re met with an image that illustrates his personality and drawing style quite literally. A drawing of the illustrator describes his characteristics, a desk with scattered drawing materials, kinder buenos, a laptop with “Face de Bouc” on screen, and littered on the floor is a crumpled up “dessin rate” (drawing rate) and “gags tout pourris” (rubbish jokes).
This chucklesome bio continues throughout El Don Guillermo’s work, particularly in his series illustrating a character called Bernadette, first published as an erotic book in France by Les Requins Marteaux. “The character of Bernadette is a very free woman, a very liberated person,” the illustrator tells It’s Nice That. “After I made the book, I really loved this character and made more pictures with her.”
You can instantly see why El Don Guillermo couldn’t give Bernadette up, with her cheeky unassuming facial expression – unless she has a joint in hand, then she’s got a beaming smile – and the freedom she represents while holidaying at the “Dauphin Vert” campsite. A location where, “Nudists, voyeurs, exhibs, swingers and melangists, all come to grill their merge in a very sea, sex and pussy-filled atmosphere.”
Another project of El Don Guillermo’s, of a similarly saucy style, is La Fille Sans Culotte, translating as The Girl With No Pants. The publication is a compilation of erotic shorts by the illustrator, covering narratives such as “a story about a girl falling in love with a fish monster, and another about a girl who wants to have her photograph taken but with no pants and others…” Continuing El Don Guillermo’s role as the go-to guy for flirty and funny illustrations with a sharp narrative.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s