It is a writer’s job to flower things up, describe things beautifully and add just the right amount of wit and personality that ensures the audience are kept excited with each new word they read. But while I’d love to think that my writing ticks those boxes, when it comes to dreamy illustrator Elena Xausa her own self description is pretty spot on. You only have to click on her welcome page in which she cheerily writes: “Welcome to my crazy, messy, easy, buzzy world!” to get a drift of what the talented Berlin-based artist is all about. And, with such a cheery introduction, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that her work follows suit, “crazy and messy”, cheery and colourful and above all refreshingly lighthearted – Elena’s illustrations are brilliant.
Working across both commercial and personal projects, Elena’s illustrations stand out with their beautifully smooth curves, and come with jolly and slightly bizarre titles such as Happy Carpets, Tea Circus and Feet Dance, you can’t help but smile at her rosy outlook on the world.
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?