Just when I thought I had seen enough fashion to last me until the next London Fashion Week (which seems to happen about every five weeks) BAM! Here comes a collection that totally blew me away. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like this before, it was like a match was struck in my brain and sparked nostalgia for early episodes of Blackadder and that cute lil’ Childlike Empress from The NeverEnding Story. Dreamy!
The collection is the work of one of New York’s best fashion designers, Thom Browne. His fantastical women’s Autumn/Winter 2014 collection was photographed by super photographer Lea Colombo for Dazed and Confused which has basically poured a whole new bucket of vibes all over the place. Lea is so skilled at photographing the backstage environments of fashion shows and her work has a signature style that totally fits Thom’s aesthetic. And what an aesthetic. I’m still making huge lists of what it reminds me of, now I’m seeing the ballroom scene from Labyrinth mixed with the wedding scene from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. Not outfits you can necessarily get away with in your local ’Spoons, but impressive nonetheless.
- Creative director David Lane tells us about redesigning frieze and creating campaigns for Hermés and Ally Capellino
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Anibal Bley’s Risograph zine experiments with glitchy patterns and illustrations
- CG Watkins’ narratively driven photography conveys mystery and escapism
- Sharp Type creates punchy typeface inspired by Swiss designer Adrian Frutiger
- Illustrator Susa Monteiro’s lonely figures battle the elements
- Grope Sans: a very rude typeface by Bompas & Parr
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- The reductive and exacting work of graphic designer Laura Prim
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Nicolas Jaar releases Network, a book inspired by radio