In case we haven’t told you a billion times already – oh wait, we have – Tavi Gevinson and Minna Gilligan very kindly had a conversation on the theme of Doing it Differently for our Spring issue of Printed Pages. They covered some of life’s most important topics including Madonna, hoarding, being the CEO of your own life, felt tips, and not giving a shit about people hating stuff you create.
To follow this great collaboration, NOWNESS have asked the pair to have a cross-continental video interview with each other. Melbourne-based artist Minna sent some video questions over to Illinois-based Tavi and vice versa until they had a conversation going despite being 9,561 miles apart. NOWNESS took the videos, spliced ‘em together and injected the final cut with some of Minna’s spectacular lo-fi artwork and some serious Saved by the Bell vibes.
The funny bits, touching parts and the unadulterated honesty makes this one of the loveliest things you’ll see this week. Listen out for the part at 0:55 where they talk about your teenage bedroom being a sacred space that defines your adulthood. Hardly anyone talks about this kind of stuff, and it’s high time people started.
You can buy the Spring issue of Printed Pages through our Company of Parrots online shop – do it now!
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)