In case we haven’t told you a billion times already – oh wait, we have – Tavi Gevinson and Minna Gilligan very kindly had a conversation on the theme of Doing it Differently for our Spring issue of Printed Pages. They covered some of life’s most important topics including Madonna, hoarding, being the CEO of your own life, felt tips, and not giving a shit about people hating stuff you create.
To follow this great collaboration, NOWNESS have asked the pair to have a cross-continental video interview with each other. Melbourne-based artist Minna sent some video questions over to Illinois-based Tavi and vice versa until they had a conversation going despite being 9,561 miles apart. NOWNESS took the videos, spliced ‘em together and injected the final cut with some of Minna’s spectacular lo-fi artwork and some serious Saved by the Bell vibes.
The funny bits, touching parts and the unadulterated honesty makes this one of the loveliest things you’ll see this week. Listen out for the part at 0:55 where they talk about your teenage bedroom being a sacred space that defines your adulthood. Hardly anyone talks about this kind of stuff, and it’s high time people started.
You can buy the Spring issue of Printed Pages through our Company of Parrots online shop – do it now!
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs