Anyone who has seen Anna Prior play drums live knows how infectious her beaming smile is. Whether she is playing with Metronomy or more recently James Righton’s Shock Machine, she always seems to be having the best time, while simultaneously playing drums and singing impeccably.
A regular DJ, this week’s mixtape displays Anna’s music taste with a focus on the wealth of inspiring female artists that are dominating the music industry. Anna’s drumming skills will be gracing stages across the UK next week as Metronomy headline Glasgow ABC, Manchester Albert Hall and Brixton Academy. Over to the lady herself…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
I’ve chosen to make my playlist a celebration of the female vocal, it’s never been a better time to be a woman and nothing makes me happier than a prodigious, emotion-fuelled female vocalist.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
3pm on a Wednesday.
What song or album did you listen to as teenager?
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All albums, all the time, really loud!
What’s the best song or album to wake up to in the morning?
Don’t Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors