Anyone who has seen Anna Prior play drums live knows how infectious her beaming smile is. Whether she is playing with Metronomy or more recently James Righton’s Shock Machine, she always seems to be having the best time, while simultaneously playing drums and singing impeccably.
A regular DJ, this week’s mixtape displays Anna’s music taste with a focus on the wealth of inspiring female artists that are dominating the music industry. Anna’s drumming skills will be gracing stages across the UK next week as Metronomy headline Glasgow ABC, Manchester Albert Hall and Brixton Academy. Over to the lady herself…
Why have you picked these songs, what do they remind you of or make you feel?
I’ve chosen to make my playlist a celebration of the female vocal, it’s never been a better time to be a woman and nothing makes me happier than a prodigious, emotion-fuelled female vocalist.
When or where should this mixtape be listened to?
3pm on a Wednesday.
What song or album did you listen to as teenager?
Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All albums, all the time, really loud!
What’s the best song or album to wake up to in the morning?
Don’t Get Me Wrong by The Pretenders.
If a feature film of your life was to be made, what song would be on the trailer?
- Like a milder version of Marmite, it’s Best of the Web!
- Meet graphic designer Tor Weibull and his tubular metal typography
- Glasgow watch company Paulin launch new Art Deco-inspired typeface
- Samuel Douek on his pop-up queer art space CAMPerVAN at Tate Modern
- Agnese Morganti celebrates the sparkle and community of Italy’s majorettes
- Friday Mixtape: Visions Festival make us a mix of eclectic acts from its line up
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels