The Flaming Lips, the mind-altering, otherworldly group from Oklahoma has provided this week’s Friday mixtape!
It goes without saying that Flaming Lips’ shows are one of the most renowned performances in the world. Clad with confetti cannons and giant inflatables or Wayne Coyne gracing the stage on a neon unicorn, crowds walk away stunned and elated.
The band are currently on tour in light of their recent release, Ozcy Mlody, and created this mixtape to reflect their mood after the show. “Here is a playlist that we, The Flaming lips and crew, would be playing at 4 – 5am on the tour bus, cruising after a show in Europe somewhere…Still awake and energised from a concert, but trying to wind down before going to sleep,” they explain.
On asking Wayne and Steven the records they grew up listening to they honestly answered, “too long ago and too many to mention,” but their larger mixtape than usual is a genre varied, beguiling playlist encompassing their whole crew’s tastes. Their new record saw vinyl sleeve master Robert Beatty create the artwork in a rainbow coloured, glow in the dark gatefold package. Influenced “by the same usual suspects of inspiration,” Ozcy Mlody saw the band “checking out new hip hop and sub-bass heavy production stuff”.
The Flaming Lips don’t need any more introduction than that. Here is their playlist to wind down the week to and simultaneously power you up for the weekend.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again