There’s a famous clip of Norwegian TV presenter Bjorge Lillelien chastising the English after his country saw off England in a football world Cup qualifier. “Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher – can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!” Its curious mix of political grandees, a princess and a boxer combine to see it regularly voted the best bit of commentary of all time and ever since I have had a grudging admiration for Norway and Norwegians.
Until now it has just been Bjorge Lillelien who I can hang my Norway-loving hat on, but now I can add the fine people at Grandpeople who have been producing consistently excellent graphic design, photography, illustration and creative direction for years now and their prodigious output shows no sign of slowing down. A host of new work added to their website this week includes many of their trademarks – strikingly simple visuals, fantastic use of texture and a bombastic talent for colour.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)