There’s a famous clip of Norwegian TV presenter Bjorge Lillelien chastising the English after his country saw off England in a football world Cup qualifier. “Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher – can you hear me, Maggie Thatcher? Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!” Its curious mix of political grandees, a princess and a boxer combine to see it regularly voted the best bit of commentary of all time and ever since I have had a grudging admiration for Norway and Norwegians.
Until now it has just been Bjorge Lillelien who I can hang my Norway-loving hat on, but now I can add the fine people at Grandpeople who have been producing consistently excellent graphic design, photography, illustration and creative direction for years now and their prodigious output shows no sign of slowing down. A host of new work added to their website this week includes many of their trademarks – strikingly simple visuals, fantastic use of texture and a bombastic talent for colour.
- “It’s a laser show”: behind the scenes at Yale School of Art’s Graphic Design MFA thesis show
- Matthew the Horse combines poetry and illustration “borne from being a wally,” in new book
- Photographer Kathryn Hurni’s images capture an alternative perspective of Russia
- Sebastian Curi creates messy, “imperfect” characters everyone can empathise with
- Frederike Helwig’s snapshot of Nicaragua from 2004 now published
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors