Like magicians and Mafiosi, models exist in my mind on an otherworldly plane. Not supernatural per se, it’s just they seem to appear fully styled on the catwalk or in the photoshoots and I struggle to imagine them doing mundane things like brushing their teeth or catching their sleeves on door handles. Enter fantastic American photographer Hadley Hudson.
Last year she shot this series of models in their own homes for Die Zeit magazine, and they were recently reprinted in the title’s first English language version (which we rhapsodised about on a recent podcast, and which is where I first came across them).
Hadley – whose mighty impressive client list includes Levis, The XX and Rolling Stone magazine – has created a captivating and impressively varied series of images. Yes there are sultry hotties (of both sexes) in moody-yet-magnificent poses but there are weirder set-ups too (woman licking a rabbit anyone?) The pictures are also packed with details which give us insights into the subjects’ lives and they’re not quite as glamorous as we might have expected. Oh, and see how long it takes you to spot the baby…
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)