Like magicians and Mafiosi, models exist in my mind on an otherworldly plane. Not supernatural per se, it’s just they seem to appear fully styled on the catwalk or in the photoshoots and I struggle to imagine them doing mundane things like brushing their teeth or catching their sleeves on door handles. Enter fantastic American photographer Hadley Hudson.
Last year she shot this series of models in their own homes for Die Zeit magazine, and they were recently reprinted in the title’s first English language version (which we rhapsodised about on a recent podcast, and which is where I first came across them).
Hadley – whose mighty impressive client list includes Levis, The XX and Rolling Stone magazine – has created a captivating and impressively varied series of images. Yes there are sultry hotties (of both sexes) in moody-yet-magnificent poses but there are weirder set-ups too (woman licking a rabbit anyone?) The pictures are also packed with details which give us insights into the subjects’ lives and they’re not quite as glamorous as we might have expected. Oh, and see how long it takes you to spot the baby…
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations