Sam Jacob is one of the leading figures in the architecture and design industries. He’s a founding director of FAT Architecture, and is responsible for a range of internationally acclaimed projects, including designs for Igloo, Selfridges and the BBC. As well as practicing architecture, Sam is a true authority on all things design, being a columnist for Dezeen, a critic for Art Review, Professor of Architecture at UIC, and a Visiting Professor at Yale School of Architecture. Between juggling all of his prestigious roles, Sam finds the time to write a fantastic blog called Strange Harvest, which is definitely well worth a look at.
The Villa in Hoogvliet, The Netherlands is a striking example of what Sam is capable of. Located in the Heerlijkheid park, the structure brings the 21st century to the suburbs, and houses a multi-use hall, offices and a café. Seen from the outside, it’s an incredible construction: the rain screen cladding references Hoogvliet’s industrial past, whilst the layered, bubbling tree-shapes adorning the entrance reference the surrounding nature, all culminating in a design that is both whimsical and super sleek.
All of today’s posts are focusing on the speakers at Here 2014, picking out a particular project to enjoy once again. You can follow the action live over on our @HereLondon Twitter feed.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting