Sam Jacob is one of the leading figures in the architecture and design industries. He’s a founding director of FAT Architecture, and is responsible for a range of internationally acclaimed projects, including designs for Igloo, Selfridges and the BBC. As well as practicing architecture, Sam is a true authority on all things design, being a columnist for Dezeen, a critic for Art Review, Professor of Architecture at UIC, and a Visiting Professor at Yale School of Architecture. Between juggling all of his prestigious roles, Sam finds the time to write a fantastic blog called Strange Harvest, which is definitely well worth a look at.
The Villa in Hoogvliet, The Netherlands is a striking example of what Sam is capable of. Located in the Heerlijkheid park, the structure brings the 21st century to the suburbs, and houses a multi-use hall, offices and a café. Seen from the outside, it’s an incredible construction: the rain screen cladding references Hoogvliet’s industrial past, whilst the layered, bubbling tree-shapes adorning the entrance reference the surrounding nature, all culminating in a design that is both whimsical and super sleek.
All of today’s posts are focusing on the speakers at Here 2014, picking out a particular project to enjoy once again. You can follow the action live over on our @HereLondon Twitter feed.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations