Sam Jacob is one of the leading figures in the architecture and design industries. He’s a founding director of FAT Architecture, and is responsible for a range of internationally acclaimed projects, including designs for Igloo, Selfridges and the BBC. As well as practicing architecture, Sam is a true authority on all things design, being a columnist for Dezeen, a critic for Art Review, Professor of Architecture at UIC, and a Visiting Professor at Yale School of Architecture. Between juggling all of his prestigious roles, Sam finds the time to write a fantastic blog called Strange Harvest, which is definitely well worth a look at.
The Villa in Hoogvliet, The Netherlands is a striking example of what Sam is capable of. Located in the Heerlijkheid park, the structure brings the 21st century to the suburbs, and houses a multi-use hall, offices and a café. Seen from the outside, it’s an incredible construction: the rain screen cladding references Hoogvliet’s industrial past, whilst the layered, bubbling tree-shapes adorning the entrance reference the surrounding nature, all culminating in a design that is both whimsical and super sleek.
All of today’s posts are focusing on the speakers at Here 2014, picking out a particular project to enjoy once again. You can follow the action live over on our @HereLondon Twitter feed.
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Alan Resnick animates the adventures of his odd little character Johnny Bubble
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant