Sam Jacob is one of the leading figures in the architecture and design industries. He’s a founding director of FAT Architecture, and is responsible for a range of internationally acclaimed projects, including designs for Igloo, Selfridges and the BBC. As well as practicing architecture, Sam is a true authority on all things design, being a columnist for Dezeen, a critic for Art Review, Professor of Architecture at UIC, and a Visiting Professor at Yale School of Architecture. Between juggling all of his prestigious roles, Sam finds the time to write a fantastic blog called Strange Harvest, which is definitely well worth a look at.
The Villa in Hoogvliet, The Netherlands is a striking example of what Sam is capable of. Located in the Heerlijkheid park, the structure brings the 21st century to the suburbs, and houses a multi-use hall, offices and a café. Seen from the outside, it’s an incredible construction: the rain screen cladding references Hoogvliet’s industrial past, whilst the layered, bubbling tree-shapes adorning the entrance reference the surrounding nature, all culminating in a design that is both whimsical and super sleek.
All of today’s posts are focusing on the speakers at Here 2014, picking out a particular project to enjoy once again. You can follow the action live over on our @HereLondon Twitter feed.
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Spanish studio Creanet pushes the form of the magazine with its latest project
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know