There are a number of artists who seem to descend upon It’s Nice That from absolutely nowhere with a project so completely brilliant that we’d rather pull our eyeballs out than pass up the opportunity to feature it, and then immediately disappear never to be seen again. However, there is another school of creatives who the site seems to have grown up with, who we find ourselves coming back to every year or so just to see how things have be getting on.
Luke Best is one of the latter. The London-based illustrator is part of the Peepshow Collective, and it’s all we can do to resist featuring him on a monthly basis. Yearly will suffice though and now without the smallest hint of shame we’re back with another update from him. Luke’s work tends to veer gently from collages to a carefully constructed chaos, with no small amount of colour thrown in the mix for good measure, and yet regardless of his medium, he always seems able to make the style work for him, bending to fit various editorial needs. Here’s your dose for a while then but don’t worry there will be more from him soon if we have anything to do with it.
- “My personal work informs everything that comes after it" and other bits we learned at September's Nicer Tuesdays
- Xiang Guan’s Symbiotic Objects require a human component
- Alex Fergusson on the provocative and powerful nature of surface graphics
- Bendik Kaltenborn talks us through his retrospective book, collating ten years worth of work
- Meet music-obsessed graphic designer François Boulo
- César Pelizer’s 2D and 3D experiments are full of humour and imagination
- Vicky Grout takes us on a photographic trip through east London using Kodak's Ektra smartphone
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Timo Kuilder combines clean-cut linework with limited colours in his editorial work
- David Luraschi’s strikingly simple new campaign for fashion brand Jacquemus
- How 13 designers responded to a one-word brief: water
- Nicolas Ménard creates short animation for online mortgage broker Habito