The best baddie in cinematic history is not Darth Vader or Blofeld, oh no, it’s Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore. Just as you’re about ready to mentally kill the actor that plays Shooter purely because of his character, this bit of dialogue happens that suddenly makes you realise he’s not worth your time. Happy and Shooter are arguing and Shooter goes “Just stay out of my way… or you’ll pay! Listen to what I say!” only for Happy to reply “Hey, why don’t I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! Whaddya say?” which is basically the best comeback line in history. Take the feeling of that triumphant moment, times it by eleven, and that’s how good The Weekender is.
Best of the site
This week we were offered a glimpse into some of the most expensive and exclusive boarding schools in the UK courtesy of photographer Mark Draisey, we discovered that Lizzy Caplan is a talented satirist, and we had a chuckle at some simple yet brilliant Pantone memes.
Best of the Best of the Web
The internet’s a cruel mistress, but you know what, everyone loves a mistress! This week we checked out YSL’s innovative runway collaboration with Ty Segall, we mourned the sad passing of Andre Cassagnes, the imventor of the Etch-a-Sketch and
we joined in with everyone else in being ludicrously excited about Kraftwerk playing in the Turbine Hall for no reason other than, we can!
Best of the rest
So what else was there? Well, a lot (it’s the internet) but highlights included Vice going to visit the surprisingly depressing Playboy Mansion and Rookie delved into the idea of love at first sight…. Oh, also, in case you didn’t know, Vanilla Ice is making charming chandeliers now. No big deal.
Tweet of the week
“Wowcher have a deal on onesies for frugal wankers.”
Picture of actor Rob Lowe holding an instrument of the week
Seizure-inducing video of the week, thanks Animal Collective.
Best Superbowl Beyonce meme of the week
I’ve never felt this way about a woman before.
Messed up kid of the week
And finally, Picture of actor Rob Lowe holding an instrument of the week
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round