We are on the home straight, heading towards In Progress this Friday with a line-up that could make any creative soul salivate. In the last of our In Progress profiles, we have Artangel’s Michael Morris and David Kohn. As you might know already, there are few places gracing London quite like A Room for London: "a ‘boat’ perched, as if by retreating floodwaters, on the very edge of the Queen Elizabeth hall at the Southbank centre.
This project has become one the most distinctive cultural projects of 2012, creating a space that brings together artists, writers and performers in an intimate space with sweeping views of the London skyline. What better way to close what is shaping up to be a fantastically inspiring day than to talk to Michael Morris, co-director of Artangel who was responsible for the commission of A Room for London alongside Living Architecture, as well as David Kohn who designed what is an “observatory, a retreat and a studio” in collaboration with artist Fiona Banner.
They’ll be in conversation with It’s Nice That director Alex Bec, to explore their experiences of idea development through collaboration, and how that process can be applied in a multitude of production forms. They’ll be sharing their insights that on one level has shaped Artangel into a significant international arts organisation over two decades, and on the other, a recipient of numerous awards including RIBA, D&AD and Condé Nast for work in the fields of architecture and urbanism respectively. We literally cannot wait for this one!
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery