We are on the home straight, heading towards In Progress this Friday with a line-up that could make any creative soul salivate. In the last of our In Progress profiles, we have Artangel’s Michael Morris and David Kohn. As you might know already, there are few places gracing London quite like A Room for London: "a ‘boat’ perched, as if by retreating floodwaters, on the very edge of the Queen Elizabeth hall at the Southbank centre.
This project has become one the most distinctive cultural projects of 2012, creating a space that brings together artists, writers and performers in an intimate space with sweeping views of the London skyline. What better way to close what is shaping up to be a fantastically inspiring day than to talk to Michael Morris, co-director of Artangel who was responsible for the commission of A Room for London alongside Living Architecture, as well as David Kohn who designed what is an “observatory, a retreat and a studio” in collaboration with artist Fiona Banner.
They’ll be in conversation with It’s Nice That director Alex Bec, to explore their experiences of idea development through collaboration, and how that process can be applied in a multitude of production forms. They’ll be sharing their insights that on one level has shaped Artangel into a significant international arts organisation over two decades, and on the other, a recipient of numerous awards including RIBA, D&AD and Condé Nast for work in the fields of architecture and urbanism respectively. We literally cannot wait for this one!
- Take the Jack Sachs animated tour of the Tate Britain, and meet his odd CG characters along the way
- The effortlessly lovely hand-drawn illustrations of Paula Bulling
- Kii Monroe Arens' delicious gig posters
- Alex Paulus’ paintings are full of misshapen characters in odd situations
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- Carmel Buckley and Mark Harris dissect the album covers of calypso singer Mighty Sparrow
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich