Remember that day last summer when everyone got up early to ring bells in what was one of the most heart-warming, unifying events of the last decade? Did you travel across the country just to get a bounce on Jeremy Deller’s Stone Henge? Well, involved with the cultural Olympiad or not, one thing is true, and that is it was bloody hard to miss.
Ruth Mackenzie joined the London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in January 2010, and went on to curate the London 2012 Festival, which saw thousands of artists from across the country put on shows and events to highlight the strength and diversity of the art scene in Great Britain. At In Progress this December, Ruth will be our keynote speaker, celebrating an amazing period of creativity and filling us in on the preparation and planning involved in curating such a mammoth event.
Ruth’s career has been nothing short of legendary, with a culture-rammed CV including working for the Barbican, BBC, Tate, The Young Vic and even the London Symphony Orchestra. Thought you were a culture-vulture? Think again. Hear how the Cultural Olympiad may influence and shape our cultural landscape in 2013 and beyond this December at In Progress, there’s only a small number of tickets left!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting