Tucked quietly away in Inge Jacobsen’s brilliant portfolio beneath a whole selection of embroidered magazine covers is a collection of pages, from high-end ads to glossy editorial shoots, adorned with sultry-eyed, scantily-clad pornstars sprawled sexily across them. In thread.
Inge has an unbelievable talent with a needle, as we discovered when we first came across her work last september, and were wowed by incredibly convincing blocks of skin in varying tones, long wavy tendrils of hair, and the almost photographic detail common to almost all of her work. This bunch of sexy ladies are a huge step forward from Beyoncé’s drastic embroidered makeover, but by planting sexy images in an unexpected setting so that it’s only on second glance that you realise that, yeah, that perfume ad has actually been hijacked by a curvaceous honey pulling her knickers down, Inge makes sure she keeps us on our toes. What’s more, she does so in a medium best-loved by old ladies and cross-stitchers. Who knew pornography and needlework could overlap so seamlessly?
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery