Tucked quietly away in Inge Jacobsen’s brilliant portfolio beneath a whole selection of embroidered magazine covers is a collection of pages, from high-end ads to glossy editorial shoots, adorned with sultry-eyed, scantily-clad pornstars sprawled sexily across them. In thread.
Inge has an unbelievable talent with a needle, as we discovered when we first came across her work last september, and were wowed by incredibly convincing blocks of skin in varying tones, long wavy tendrils of hair, and the almost photographic detail common to almost all of her work. This bunch of sexy ladies are a huge step forward from Beyoncé’s drastic embroidered makeover, but by planting sexy images in an unexpected setting so that it’s only on second glance that you realise that, yeah, that perfume ad has actually been hijacked by a curvaceous honey pulling her knickers down, Inge makes sure she keeps us on our toes. What’s more, she does so in a medium best-loved by old ladies and cross-stitchers. Who knew pornography and needlework could overlap so seamlessly?
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages