We’ve been admiring the work of fashion and portrait photographer Piczo from afar for some years now, so we were pleased to hear that he’s joined forces with the excellent London-based photographic agency WeFolk, who look after the likes of It’s Nice That faves Juno Calypso, Lena C. Emery, Carlota Guerrero, Pieter Hugo, Viviane Sassen and Ewen Spencer.
The mononymous Japanese-born photographer first came to London back in the early ‘00s — “I came here to study English and photography. It was 13 years ago” — cutting his teeth at fashion mags Jalouse, i-D, Grind, Tomorrow, Unfolp and Union. His laid-back, effortlessly cool portrait style soon got him noticed, winning him a cool 67k Instagram followers, and of course a place alongside some of the world’s best photographers. “A small Japanese photographer is on the same page of great photographers!” he says.
Among his favourite recent projects, he notes Jalouse magazine’s April issue, Grind magazine’s Y-3 feature and a campaign for Wooyoungmi which he notes is “always exciting!” Up next is a shoot with Sisters Uncut for i-D (“it was fun, and good to meet them and know who they are”), alongside Union and Metal magazines. “I might make a book for my portraits story and I might have an exhibition with Union in Tokyo again, but both are not confirmed!” he says. Watch this space.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc