Jason Evans seems to attract a cult-like status through his youthful, rebellious attitude towards the subject matter of his photos. That could sound like they centre on themes of disaffection and angst but the truth is that Jason moulds conventions, fusing them relentlessly, working with a dynamic happiness rather than a sledgehammer of doom. His approach never dismisses what should be at the heart of our lives — fun and frolics.
So without further ado, let me share two facts about Jason Evans – 1. He has a preferred mode of transport. This mode of transport is the bicycle and 2. He is responsible for a popular photoblog called The Daily Nice where he posts one image per day “that makes him happy.”
He is acutely aware of the customs we come across everyday in our visual culture, and his maintenance of The Daily Nice is just one of many arenas where he challenges the dominant conventions in the photographic world. Nowadays, everybody can dabble at being a photographer, but Jason is doing more than smashing the hell out of a touch screen phone at a gig. Much more.
Here’s a photographer looking to challenge perceptions via his subject matter, form and pure exuberance who always manages to blur the lines between street, casual and commercial photography.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant