Jasper Nijs doesn’t muck about. The 22-year-old Dutch designer has made it his mission in life to produce household products with extreme functionality that outperform even the most demanding user’s needs. His inspiration comes from a logical place; a personal enjoyment of walnuts hampered by obsessive tidiness. “I like to eat walnuts. What keeps me from doing so in most cases is the fact that cracking a nut leaves you with a multitude of shell and nut fragments, a thing I deeply abhor.” Jasper’s solution was to produce a nutcracker that split the walnut neatly in two, without mess – an easy task for 5mm of steel plate that can apply up to eight kilos of pressure.
Jasper likens his design philosophy to a mother driving her children to school in a Hummer, “It’s a case of overkill, a machine that goes beyond the reasonable.” And it doesn’t stop with nuts either, Jasper’s produced a range of products that obliterate oranges and pulverise coffee beans for your morning fix. Proof, if any were needed, that an obsessive nature and a little bit of elbow grease can lead to seriously great stuff.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)