Jen Dessinger is another photographer who seems to have slipped right through our fingers until now. She describes herself as a travel and portrait photographer, though her portfolio suggests that the breadth of her work spreads far further than those two designated fields, counting as she does AnOther Magazine, Australian Vogue and Dazed & Confused among the clients on her eclectic list.
This series Quinceñera sees her photograph the guests at a Mexican party for a girl’s 15th birthday, ranging from the elaborately dressed scowling birthday girl to the members of the band and guests attending. The glaring honesty and challenging gaze of her subjects is emphasised by the simplicity of her compositions – a very effective combination which is echoed across many of her other projects.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)