Jen Dessinger is another photographer who seems to have slipped right through our fingers until now. She describes herself as a travel and portrait photographer, though her portfolio suggests that the breadth of her work spreads far further than those two designated fields, counting as she does AnOther Magazine, Australian Vogue and Dazed & Confused among the clients on her eclectic list.
This series Quinceñera sees her photograph the guests at a Mexican party for a girl’s 15th birthday, ranging from the elaborately dressed scowling birthday girl to the members of the band and guests attending. The glaring honesty and challenging gaze of her subjects is emphasised by the simplicity of her compositions – a very effective combination which is echoed across many of her other projects.
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Yoko Yuki takes us on a bizarre jaunt into town in this kaleidoscopic animation
- Director Nick Ahlmark captures the thrills of night riding for Vice and Samsung
- Marion Jdanoff's skillful screen prints and books are packed with vibrancy
- Illustrator Zoë Taylor’s heroine escapes a party through clichéd melodrama and sporadic linework
- Björk Vulnicura: inside the creation of the kafkaesque headpieces by James Merry and Neri Oxman
- Airbnb launches its own in-house design studio, Samara
- Subway unveils redesigned logo and new symbol
- Neubau introduces its latest immaculately minimal typeface, NB Akademie
- PES creates an epic scale, long-exposure stop motion film for Honda
- Rio Olympics 2016: the creative projects inspired by the Games
- Erin M Riley’s hand-woven tapestries re-contextualise online pornography (NSFW)