Jen Dessinger is another photographer who seems to have slipped right through our fingers until now. She describes herself as a travel and portrait photographer, though her portfolio suggests that the breadth of her work spreads far further than those two designated fields, counting as she does AnOther Magazine, Australian Vogue and Dazed & Confused among the clients on her eclectic list.
This series Quinceñera sees her photograph the guests at a Mexican party for a girl’s 15th birthday, ranging from the elaborately dressed scowling birthday girl to the members of the band and guests attending. The glaring honesty and challenging gaze of her subjects is emphasised by the simplicity of her compositions – a very effective combination which is echoed across many of her other projects.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again