Back in 2013 designers Jessica Walsh and Timothy Goodman launched 40 Days of Dating, where they entered into a seven week relationship with each other to explore the world of romance from a creative perspective.
Now the pair are back with a new side project, Quotes On Shit. It purports to be a look at the clutter we accumulate in our lives and an attempt to give new life to some of this junk; there’s also some terrible (i.e. terrific) punning along the way.
“We all use so much shit,” Jessica and Timothy say. “We collect shit, buy shit, trade shit and then throw shit away. So what happens with all this old shit? Is there a life after it leaves our hands? Shit winds up in our garbage, on our streets, in our landfills, and in our junk shops.
“We feel bad for this abandoned and rejected shit, so we want to rescue them and breathe new life into them by giving them a voice with words. We want to turn old shit into new shit, and give them a second chance to be loved and find a new home.”
Look closely though and I”d suggest there’s something more human, and more interesting going on here than the creators care to admit. Many of the comments daubed on the items are perspicacious and even poignant meditations on our attitudes to the world around us.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc