It was just over a year ago that we stumbled across the goldmine that is Jim’ll Paint It, like a drunk peasant staggering into a turnip field. Since then we have watched with delight as his fame spread like wildfire (lots of rural similes in this post aren’t there?) and social media championed his brilliance again and again.
The idea remains deliciously simple; people write in with weird and wonderful scenes they’d like to see (usually celebrity based) and Jim makes them happen using Micrsosoft Paint. Checking back in to his Tumblr there’s the usual array of the baffling and bewildering creations (people’s minds work in very odd ways you learn) but also some nice timely touches; Vladimir Putin as The Village People for the Sochi Olympics for example, or a superbly retro take on the infamous Oscars selfie. And as ever it’s Jim’s attention to detail which is the clincher on this; check out the amazingly faithful representation of a Wetherspoons’ drinks promotion poster in the Madonna offering.
So either remind yourself of his genius, or prepare to meet your new favourite.
- Meet tarot-obsessed Gucci illustrator Jayde Fish
- Julia Autz documents Transnistria, a country steeped in Soviet nostalgia
- Felicity Marshall, the illustrator merging editorial and fashion design
- Wow Factor: the eye-popping results of A Load of Jargon's printing workshops
- Artist Henry Taylor takes over LA gallery Blum & Poe
- Accent magazine takes us behind the scenes of issue two
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf