Mergers and Acquisitions is a new body of work by artist Jonathan Ellery that turns the Japanese Tenugui into a politically charged artwork. A Tenugui is a piece of cloth, made from cotton to a traditional size and format, that is ubiquitous in Japanese daily life. Jonathan has designed a series of Tenugui that take the symbols of organisations and movements with clashing ideologies to create bizarre fabrics and alliances.
“The world we live in is really quite absurd,” says Jonathan. “I’m not so sure I agree with the phrase ‘red and green should never be seen’ as we see it all the bloody time”. The designs are monochrome and jarring. We see the UKIP logo surrounded by the stars of the EU, the Confederate flag and the Black Panther, and the motif of Golden Dawn merged with the logo of The Syrian Nationalist Party. The project is, in the words of the publishers Browns Editions (that Jonathan founded), “Ellery’s interpretation of the swirling political and religious world that surrounds us”.
Jonathan’s Tenugui have been produced using traditional ‘Chusen’ production techniques in Osaka, Japan. The method sees the cotton fabric dyed using stencil paper and resistant paste. The technique ensures that the pattern is visible on both sides of the Tenugui.
Each Tenugui is available in an edition of 100, and a 48-page soft back catalogue printed in the nationalistic colours of Jonathan’s home nation (red, white and blue) is being sold through Browns Editions. A fabric swatch of each of the seven Tenugui is bound into each catalogue.
- Dime Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Cat Sims confronts issues of social housing in latest zine, Space
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s