French Canadian illustrator Jonathan Robert has created a hilarious music video using provocative animation. Ah Ouin the single by Montreal-based band Chocolat has been visualised by Jonathan into an otherworldly psychedelic narrative, reminiscent of 60s record sleeves and warped comics. The bulk of Jonathan’s portfolio includes illustrative prints and record sleeve designs, but it’s when he animates his imagination that it really begins to boggle your mind.
To caricature the personality of the band and the song itself into animated form has taken time to represent, and a responsibility Jonathan has completed with merriment. Each member of the band is captured individually into characters evocative of Jamie Hewett’s cartoons for Gorillaz, jamming enthusiastically on their respective instruments.
The video begins with the arrival of spaceship and a sort of musical god, with a guitar for a head (obviously), who casts disco dancing and promiscuity across the land. As mad as this sounds, this video is brilliantly nonsensical, we can only recommend you experience it yourself.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc