When somebody with the extraordinary talents of Emily Kai Bock recommends a bunch of creative film-makers to you, describing them as a MUST to check out, ears prick up, hairs stand on end and the follow up begins quick march style. And what a pleasure it was finding What Matters Most, and particularly Kahlil Joseph’s short film set to three sampled tracks from Flying Lotus’ latest album, Until The Quiet Comes.
You could be forgiven for thinking the titles of online posts can sometimes overstate the work presented, and with words such as “sublime” and “masterpiece” in this title you might feel it will be a hard benchmark to live up to. Let me assue you, Kahlil’s film far surpasses any superlatives on first viewing, rendering you speechless at its production values, cinematography as well as the narrative which is as heartbreakingly evocative as it is staggeringly powerful in its approach towards both the brutality and sublime beauty found in the streets of LA. Take notice, What Matters Most are a collection of artistic storytellers to keep an eye on!
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations