What do you get if you combine the talents of five, young, happy men in one big friendly studio in Helsinki in the very year that it has been awarded the world capital of design? Well, probably quite a lot of things, but these guys have decided to form a collective called Kapu, specialising in creating apps for children. Ah yeah, apps for children – the very words can often make people run for the hills, but that’s kind of why Kapu Forest (their debut game) has been produced. Rather than exposing children to hidden advertising and mind numbing screens, Kapu Forest teaches children about nature whilst exposing them to some 1950s-inspired illustration and a very nice jazz soundtrack. When was the last time you caught flies sitting on a lilypad listening to jazz? hmm? Thought not.
On that note, it is aimed at 1 to 6 year olds, so understandably this may not be for everyone. But to see a group of such young and passionate people creating the antidote to something we all feel a little weird about? That should be for everyone, and we should all be excited about what these guys produce next, because for a debut app, this is pretty fantastic stuff.
- “It's not overly-shiny ‘render porn’ — it's got soul”: Margot Bowman on her new film for River Island
- Vogue interior photographer François Halard’s personal polaroids
- Nora Sturges’ clean and simple paintings using the unusual medium of eggs
- “A small Japanese photographer is on the same page of great photographers!”: Piczo joins WeFolk
- Illustrator Rob Flowers shares his treasure trove of books
- My First: Colophon and Sophie Mayanne talk about the themes of their book, Twenty-Two
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages