What do you get if you combine the talents of five, young, happy men in one big friendly studio in Helsinki in the very year that it has been awarded the world capital of design? Well, probably quite a lot of things, but these guys have decided to form a collective called Kapu, specialising in creating apps for children. Ah yeah, apps for children – the very words can often make people run for the hills, but that’s kind of why Kapu Forest (their debut game) has been produced. Rather than exposing children to hidden advertising and mind numbing screens, Kapu Forest teaches children about nature whilst exposing them to some 1950s-inspired illustration and a very nice jazz soundtrack. When was the last time you caught flies sitting on a lilypad listening to jazz? hmm? Thought not.
On that note, it is aimed at 1 to 6 year olds, so understandably this may not be for everyone. But to see a group of such young and passionate people creating the antidote to something we all feel a little weird about? That should be for everyone, and we should all be excited about what these guys produce next, because for a debut app, this is pretty fantastic stuff.
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Maya Fuhr's new project adds a slick, 80s-inspired editorial feel to a hospital setting
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs