Kate Moross is one of a kind in the creative industry, as we discovered when she spoke about her working process at Here 2013; her DIY approach to her craft, which advises “if you don’t know how to do something, YouTube it” leaves her both limitless scope to execute her ideas and a diverse series of job titles to match, counting graphic designer, fashion designer, illustrator and art director among them. Evidently not one to sit back and count her chickens though, Kate has now added author to her list, publishing her first book Make Your Own Luck, a kind of memoir-come-guide book aimed at similarly-minded creatives looking for advice on how to survive art school, how to deal with copycats and how to go about directing music videos when you have bucket-loads of ideas but not a lot of know-how.
Kate’s approach is not an easy one to encapsulate, but Praline have done an impressive job doing so with the design, which is as irreverent, honest and approachable as the designer herself. Full of typography, illustration and photographs of her work and studio, here’s hoping Make Your Own Luck is just the first in a series of book to help designers and creatives overcome self-imposed boundaries.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant