Kit Neale is not afraid of referencing British culture – and his isn’t “teacup-clinking in the Dorchester” Britishness, either – this is England as it’s experienced by the masses. From folkloric traditions like Guy Fawkes day bonfires to hen and stag-dos and pearly kings and queens, his print-heavy colourful designs see Englishness come to life in all of its varying guises, including the quintessential summer holiday which was the star of his Spring Sumer 2015 show.
Models walked down an airplane runway-inspired catwalk wearing silk garments printed with all manner of visuals including cacti, vintage Coca-Cola imagery, tropical flower prints and retro images from airplane manuals, to create a characteristically colourful and retro-inspired collection. Handkerchief-knotted hats also featured (granddads country-wide will be pleased to hear) and a range of perspex charms created by Kit with Tatty Devine entitled Little Monsters adorned many of the silk blazers and tracksuit tops. It might be several iterations away from beachwear as we know it, but Kit’s Brit-inspired range is as true to our diverse and wildly varied culture as they come, and we’re huge fans.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors