Kit Neale is not afraid of referencing British culture – and his isn’t “teacup-clinking in the Dorchester” Britishness, either – this is England as it’s experienced by the masses. From folkloric traditions like Guy Fawkes day bonfires to hen and stag-dos and pearly kings and queens, his print-heavy colourful designs see Englishness come to life in all of its varying guises, including the quintessential summer holiday which was the star of his Spring Sumer 2015 show.
Models walked down an airplane runway-inspired catwalk wearing silk garments printed with all manner of visuals including cacti, vintage Coca-Cola imagery, tropical flower prints and retro images from airplane manuals, to create a characteristically colourful and retro-inspired collection. Handkerchief-knotted hats also featured (granddads country-wide will be pleased to hear) and a range of perspex charms created by Kit with Tatty Devine entitled Little Monsters adorned many of the silk blazers and tracksuit tops. It might be several iterations away from beachwear as we know it, but Kit’s Brit-inspired range is as true to our diverse and wildly varied culture as they come, and we’re huge fans.
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale