Kit Neale is not afraid of referencing British culture – and his isn’t “teacup-clinking in the Dorchester” Britishness, either – this is England as it’s experienced by the masses. From folkloric traditions like Guy Fawkes day bonfires to hen and stag-dos and pearly kings and queens, his print-heavy colourful designs see Englishness come to life in all of its varying guises, including the quintessential summer holiday which was the star of his Spring Sumer 2015 show.
Models walked down an airplane runway-inspired catwalk wearing silk garments printed with all manner of visuals including cacti, vintage Coca-Cola imagery, tropical flower prints and retro images from airplane manuals, to create a characteristically colourful and retro-inspired collection. Handkerchief-knotted hats also featured (granddads country-wide will be pleased to hear) and a range of perspex charms created by Kit with Tatty Devine entitled Little Monsters adorned many of the silk blazers and tracksuit tops. It might be several iterations away from beachwear as we know it, but Kit’s Brit-inspired range is as true to our diverse and wildly varied culture as they come, and we’re huge fans.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”