RCA graduate Klemens Schillinger is a dab hand with concrete and ceramics. His affinity for these solid grey materials has led to a practice of largely monochromatic pieces, but all have wonderful concepts based on chance and happenstance. His experimental research project Migrated Vases took its creative cues from strangers in rural China, who were stopped in the street and asked to draw their interpretation of an archetypal Chinese vase. Once back in the studio Klemens turned these images into actual thrown pots in an attempt to highlight the diversity of creativity “in an environment where creative practise is undervalued.”
Leftovers is a similarly chaotic project that thrusts three wooden off-cuts into builders buckets of remnant cement. The result, after a few hours, is a three-legged stool of wonderful simplicity, each with entirely unique dimensions depending on the materials available. We’ve just bought a brand new set of stools for our studio lunch table, but seeing Klemens make something out of nothing has made us wish we’d just done it ourselves. Wonderful work from a truly experimental mind.
- Kyle Platts and Andy Baker's animation takes us on a kaleidoscopic trip through the park
- Casper Balslev shows ballerinas wielding AK-47s in his ad for the Royal Danish Theatre
- An unusual custom typeface and great layouts for new print mag Migrant
- Bold, minimal-leaning graphic design from hot new studio Vrints-Kolsteren
- Daniel Savage’s monochrome animation plays with geometry and space
- Waverly Labs launches an earpiece that translates languages in real time
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- Milton Glaser: we talk drawing, ethics, Shakespeare and Trump with the graphic design legend
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Strange posters and superb typography from Venetian studio Tankboys
- Should designers specialise early, or have a “portfolio career”?