Amid the more traditional offerings at the London Design Festival there are always more intriguing options for those willing to seek them out. At last year’s festival Kirsty Minns and Érika Muller hosted a show in which they invited a group of artists to respond to 31 photographs of an unknown girl and her family found in a Brighton junk shop. What they developed was a beautiful and oddly nuanced biography of the mysterious Vera.
This year the duo have returned, this time asking eight creatives to respond to a single image of the young “Vera” grinning and brandishing candy floss on what appears to be a seafront.
The results again are really impressive, from Study O Portable’s distorted sandglass to Phillippe Malouin’s toy boats, Daniel & Emma’s representations of the sweet treats on offer at the seaside to Liliana Ovalle’s mysterious magic boxes. It’s interesting to see what how much each participant has invested in her story and developed the narrative, and it says something about our capacity to formulate and shape the lives of others.
Here’s hoping Vera is back again next year in another new guise.
Vera Chapter Two runs at the Brompton Design District until Sunday and you can read all the artists’ statements on the Vera website.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery