This week we were very excited to see the clunky, rounded and loveable pink bodies by illustrator Laurie Rollitt sprinkled throughout the glossy pages of Zeit Magazin. On the bold and bright cover tableau we see a joyous ginger woman going about her daily activities: we see her shopping, kissing, doing yoga, working out, getting engaged, and lying on a couch during a therapy session. Luckily, I speak German, so I was able to work out that these illustrations are for a feature called “30 truths about being 30.”
Laurie’s lip-stick smeared, grinning protagonist accompanies the fact, apparently well-known to all 30-year-olds, that kiss-proof lipstick is a lie, and it sticks to your whisky glass and then ends up in your tummy. An illustration of the same woman on her iPhone surrounded by stacks of books sits next to the idea that 30-somethings like both digital publications and physical print. Fact number 22 about being 30 is that you probably really like cats, and Laurie’s appropriately drawn a cat lady sitting with her three lazy, grey kittens. The chirpy and lovably lanky illustrations add to our ever-increasing list of reasons why Zeit Magazine is our very favourite European publication.
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs