This week we were very excited to see the clunky, rounded and loveable pink bodies by illustrator Laurie Rollitt sprinkled throughout the glossy pages of Zeit Magazin. On the bold and bright cover tableau we see a joyous ginger woman going about her daily activities: we see her shopping, kissing, doing yoga, working out, getting engaged, and lying on a couch during a therapy session. Luckily, I speak German, so I was able to work out that these illustrations are for a feature called “30 truths about being 30.”
Laurie’s lip-stick smeared, grinning protagonist accompanies the fact, apparently well-known to all 30-year-olds, that kiss-proof lipstick is a lie, and it sticks to your whisky glass and then ends up in your tummy. An illustration of the same woman on her iPhone surrounded by stacks of books sits next to the idea that 30-somethings like both digital publications and physical print. Fact number 22 about being 30 is that you probably really like cats, and Laurie’s appropriately drawn a cat lady sitting with her three lazy, grey kittens. The chirpy and lovably lanky illustrations add to our ever-increasing list of reasons why Zeit Magazine is our very favourite European publication.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again