This week we were very excited to see the clunky, rounded and loveable pink bodies by illustrator Laurie Rollitt sprinkled throughout the glossy pages of Zeit Magazin. On the bold and bright cover tableau we see a joyous ginger woman going about her daily activities: we see her shopping, kissing, doing yoga, working out, getting engaged, and lying on a couch during a therapy session. Luckily, I speak German, so I was able to work out that these illustrations are for a feature called “30 truths about being 30.”
Laurie’s lip-stick smeared, grinning protagonist accompanies the fact, apparently well-known to all 30-year-olds, that kiss-proof lipstick is a lie, and it sticks to your whisky glass and then ends up in your tummy. An illustration of the same woman on her iPhone surrounded by stacks of books sits next to the idea that 30-somethings like both digital publications and physical print. Fact number 22 about being 30 is that you probably really like cats, and Laurie’s appropriately drawn a cat lady sitting with her three lazy, grey kittens. The chirpy and lovably lanky illustrations add to our ever-increasing list of reasons why Zeit Magazine is our very favourite European publication.
- Punk, printing, photography and type - February's Nicer Tuesdays tickets are now on sale!
- Gender politics, feminism and Kanye West – the world according to Vanessa Beecroft
- First Dates for those who create: London agency Form on their working relationship
- Air-brushed psychedelia and neon lights abound in Robert Beatty’s new work
- Jack Davison shoots parrots with PTSD for The New York Times Magazine
- Graphic design work to challenge and empower the reader
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- More salaciously surreal illustrations from French duo Mrzyk & Moriceau