This week we were very excited to see the clunky, rounded and loveable pink bodies by illustrator Laurie Rollitt sprinkled throughout the glossy pages of Zeit Magazin. On the bold and bright cover tableau we see a joyous ginger woman going about her daily activities: we see her shopping, kissing, doing yoga, working out, getting engaged, and lying on a couch during a therapy session. Luckily, I speak German, so I was able to work out that these illustrations are for a feature called “30 truths about being 30.”
Laurie’s lip-stick smeared, grinning protagonist accompanies the fact, apparently well-known to all 30-year-olds, that kiss-proof lipstick is a lie, and it sticks to your whisky glass and then ends up in your tummy. An illustration of the same woman on her iPhone surrounded by stacks of books sits next to the idea that 30-somethings like both digital publications and physical print. Fact number 22 about being 30 is that you probably really like cats, and Laurie’s appropriately drawn a cat lady sitting with her three lazy, grey kittens. The chirpy and lovably lanky illustrations add to our ever-increasing list of reasons why Zeit Magazine is our very favourite European publication.
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Like a warm embrace, it's Best of the Web!
- Swedish illustrator Malin Rosenqvist creates textural works about psychology and powerful women
- Animator Jimmy Simpson creates technology-inspired ident for MTV
- Leander Assmann's illustrations are full of paired-back shapes and patterns
- Illustrator Andrey Kasay invites us into his surreal yet amusing world
- Grope Sans: a very rude typeface by Bompas & Parr
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- The reductive and exacting work of graphic designer Laura Prim
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Nicolas Jaar releases Network, a book inspired by radio