So fresh out of art school that she still smells like turps, Liv Siddall is our newest and preternaturally capable intern. Having been with us for a short while we thought it wise to give her a guest post slot so that she might extend some of her goodness to the rest of you. She is a graphic design graduate from Kingston University, London – some notable projects of hers include gig posters designed to be stolen and some inspired design of Philip Larkin poems in Secret Letter-Writer (pictured)…
How do you explain what you do to your parents?
Whenever they ask me what I’m doing I tell them that I am in the process of starting up my own condiments business – “Condimental.” It’s just easier that way.
Who do you look like?
Regrettably, my mother. not like mum circa 1968, mum circa now.
Did your education count?
What’s the best mistake you have ever made?
Choosing a graphic design degree over an illustration one. Whoops! I used to think that was a big mistake – and still do a tiny bit. But now after three of the best years, and with a head full of graphic design I realise it’s not so bad. Another great mistake that springs to mind is when I thought a tub of frozen lard was a tub of ice cream and ate loads of it.
When did you realise that this is what you were good at?
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by ‘this’ – do you mean graphic design? if so, I still don’t know if this is what I am good at.
What rules do you live by?
Don’t sleep past 11am, always stroke cats on the street, don’t listen to Leonard Cohen in the morning, use manual cameras, be kind.
What makes your day?
Getting free food.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
Cat who owns a café.
What one thing would you like to be remembered by/for?
My hugely successful condiments business, and for being a supportive wife, nay muse, to Bill Callahan.
What’s your favourite combination?
Yeast extract, salt, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamin, spice extracts. riboflavin, folic acid, celery extract, vitamin b12.
What’s the funniest thing you have EVER seen?
Wow. That’s hard. Everything is hilarious. I’m afraid I’ll be lame and resort to a youtube video my friend Tom showed me, it’s perfect.
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round