So fresh out of art school that she still smells like turps, Liv Siddall is our newest and preternaturally capable intern. Having been with us for a short while we thought it wise to give her a guest post slot so that she might extend some of her goodness to the rest of you. She is a graphic design graduate from Kingston University, London – some notable projects of hers include gig posters designed to be stolen and some inspired design of Philip Larkin poems in Secret Letter-Writer (pictured)…
How do you explain what you do to your parents?
Whenever they ask me what I’m doing I tell them that I am in the process of starting up my own condiments business – “Condimental.” It’s just easier that way.
Who do you look like?
Regrettably, my mother. not like mum circa 1968, mum circa now.
Did your education count?
What’s the best mistake you have ever made?
Choosing a graphic design degree over an illustration one. Whoops! I used to think that was a big mistake – and still do a tiny bit. But now after three of the best years, and with a head full of graphic design I realise it’s not so bad. Another great mistake that springs to mind is when I thought a tub of frozen lard was a tub of ice cream and ate loads of it.
When did you realise that this is what you were good at?
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by ‘this’ – do you mean graphic design? if so, I still don’t know if this is what I am good at.
What rules do you live by?
Don’t sleep past 11am, always stroke cats on the street, don’t listen to Leonard Cohen in the morning, use manual cameras, be kind.
What makes your day?
Getting free food.
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
Cat who owns a café.
What one thing would you like to be remembered by/for?
My hugely successful condiments business, and for being a supportive wife, nay muse, to Bill Callahan.
What’s your favourite combination?
Yeast extract, salt, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamin, spice extracts. riboflavin, folic acid, celery extract, vitamin b12.
What’s the funniest thing you have EVER seen?
Wow. That’s hard. Everything is hilarious. I’m afraid I’ll be lame and resort to a youtube video my friend Tom showed me, it’s perfect.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know