Although the Salone Internazionale Del Mobile seems like a distant memory now, we’re still reeling from the quality of work we managed to see while out there. As ever Heineken made their presence felt on the nightlife of Milan, pushing the boundaries with their innovative entertainment spaces. In 2012 they were focused on creating the ultimate club, but 2013 has seen them exploring the lounge bar of the future at Milan’s Magazzini, creating a brand new environment for revellers to drink, dance and generally let their hair down.
To realise their dreams they enlisted the help of Matt W. Moore and a host of other collaborators, splashing Matt’s trademark geometric creations across walls, floors, futuristic clothing for waiters and waitresses and even their signature aluminium bottles. Matt’s designs were optimised for a UV-heavy environment with the addition of ultra-violet inks that lit up the space in all sorts of surprising ways.
Aside from the visual spectacles on display, Heineken used the space to serve as a pop-up think tank for ideas and innovations for the coming months, inviting artists and designers to participate in talks and workshops hosted by the likes of Pecha Kucha, Cool Hunting and Snarkitecture. Expect to see their new ideas and discoveries rolled out in international venues as the year progresses!
You can visit the Heineken Tumblr to influence the design of the lounge bar of the future, where designers from New York, Mexico City, Warsaw and Singapore can also submit their portfolios for the chance to create it.
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- The idyllic and relatable still lifes of Bradley Kerl
- We spoke to the director behind Young Thug's "Wyclef Jean" video
- Illustrator Marina Pcheliakova’s happy characters follow a range of leisure pursuits
- A closer look at the work of “performer and plastic artist” Caroline Denervaud
- Oriele Steiner’s naive pastel works interpret the world around her
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant