Although the Salone Internazionale Del Mobile seems like a distant memory now, we’re still reeling from the quality of work we managed to see while out there. As ever Heineken made their presence felt on the nightlife of Milan, pushing the boundaries with their innovative entertainment spaces. In 2012 they were focused on creating the ultimate club, but 2013 has seen them exploring the lounge bar of the future at Milan’s Magazzini, creating a brand new environment for revellers to drink, dance and generally let their hair down.
To realise their dreams they enlisted the help of Matt W. Moore and a host of other collaborators, splashing Matt’s trademark geometric creations across walls, floors, futuristic clothing for waiters and waitresses and even their signature aluminium bottles. Matt’s designs were optimised for a UV-heavy environment with the addition of ultra-violet inks that lit up the space in all sorts of surprising ways.
Aside from the visual spectacles on display, Heineken used the space to serve as a pop-up think tank for ideas and innovations for the coming months, inviting artists and designers to participate in talks and workshops hosted by the likes of Pecha Kucha, Cool Hunting and Snarkitecture. Expect to see their new ideas and discoveries rolled out in international venues as the year progresses!
You can visit the Heineken Tumblr to influence the design of the lounge bar of the future, where designers from New York, Mexico City, Warsaw and Singapore can also submit their portfolios for the chance to create it.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs