Although the Salone Internazionale Del Mobile seems like a distant memory now, we’re still reeling from the quality of work we managed to see while out there. As ever Heineken made their presence felt on the nightlife of Milan, pushing the boundaries with their innovative entertainment spaces. In 2012 they were focused on creating the ultimate club, but 2013 has seen them exploring the lounge bar of the future at Milan’s Magazzini, creating a brand new environment for revellers to drink, dance and generally let their hair down.
To realise their dreams they enlisted the help of Matt W. Moore and a host of other collaborators, splashing Matt’s trademark geometric creations across walls, floors, futuristic clothing for waiters and waitresses and even their signature aluminium bottles. Matt’s designs were optimised for a UV-heavy environment with the addition of ultra-violet inks that lit up the space in all sorts of surprising ways.
Aside from the visual spectacles on display, Heineken used the space to serve as a pop-up think tank for ideas and innovations for the coming months, inviting artists and designers to participate in talks and workshops hosted by the likes of Pecha Kucha, Cool Hunting and Snarkitecture. Expect to see their new ideas and discoveries rolled out in international venues as the year progresses!
You can visit the Heineken Tumblr to influence the design of the lounge bar of the future, where designers from New York, Mexico City, Warsaw and Singapore can also submit their portfolios for the chance to create it.
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality