Artist and illustrator Merijn Hos has never previously been featured on our site. Now we have a valid excuse, in the shape of the one-man show he’s putting on at K+K Gallery, Brussels. We briefly caught up with curator Mathias Wille, about the gallery itself, as well as the show…
Hi Mathias, could you tell us a bit about K+K Gallery?
K+K Gallery is a temporary gallery run by Delphine Somers and myself, situated in the centre of Brussels, and the ﬁrst project set up by Wir Sind vzw. Over the course of a year, the work of several young artists from a number of disciplines will be shown in variation with a ʻone shotʼ programme for performers, book presentations, movie screenings and music. Artists we’ve already worked with include Stan Wannet, Manor Grunewald, Brecht Vandenbroucke, Faris Badwan (frontman of The Horrors), Sebastien Rien and Fia Cielen…
Why did you decide to set the gallery up?
We knew there was a free space at the Recylart Art Centre, and proposed our project to Dirk Seghers, the art director there. We were initially given the residency for 6 months, but it’s been a big success from the beginning, so Dirk has given us 7 months more. Maybe we can stay there forever… ;-)
Your current show features the work of Merijin Hos. Can you tell us a bit about it?
We were introduced to Merijn Hos by our friends from The Hello Monsters, and immediately fell in love with his work. Merijn, known as Bfree, is an artist and illustrator from Utrecht. He divides his time between working as a commercial illustrator and working on his own personal projects, exhibitions and independent publishing.
What’s next for you guys?
Our next exhibition will feature Melanie Mattieu and Rein Dewilde. Melanie won the Photo Academy Awards 2011. She’s going to show a big installation in collaboration with Rein, who is also a great photographer.
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- A magazine that tells stories of life, from everywhere and anywhere
- Effortlessly sleek art direction from Paris-based Romain Lenancker
- New York's Meatpacking district rebranded by Base Design to highlight area’s “contrasts”
- Being creative and looking at art: what can it do for mental health?
- Impossible perspectives and block-like figures in Mernet Larsen’s paintings
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Pentagram’s Emily Oberman brands Snoop Dogg’s new line of weed products
- How do you redesign Kinfolk? What does graphic designing for Wes Anderson involve? Can drawing get you girls?
- Inspire and being inspired: graphic designers who teach