I’m glad we caught Dan Wilton while he was on dry land with some time to spare, most of the time he’s cavorting around the world getting drunk in hotel rooms with really cool bands or pursuing his ongoing photography project looking at his beloved American football. We love Dan’s work, and Dan himself, and knowing how much he loves pop culture we asked him tot ell us about his favourite ever music video. Here he is…
Dan Wilton: Peter Gabriel – Sledgehammer
Oh my god. I can’t emphasise quite how gutted I am that Nicos Livesy and Tom Bunker already chose Money for Nothing. It’s by far and away my first choice and I’m currently in the grip of a mild Dire Straits obsession.
Saying that, I always thought it was really missing a pair of dancing, oven-ready chickens. Sledgehammer doesn’t suffer from this problem.
I can actually remember it totally blowing my head off the first time I saw it way back in the 1980s. I really love the start, the close-up of his dancing earlobes and lips and from there on in it’s just one big bag of unadulterated joy. My dad is a huge Peter Gabriel fan too which is probably why I love it so much. Apparently Uncle Pete was repeatedly electrocuted by the lightbulb suit during filming too, what a trooper! And it’s the most played video in MTV history. And speaking of those chickens again – the one and only Nick Park animated them….Wallace and Gromit chickens! What more do you need?
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang