The role of big names in the art world has been a point of contention for some time; in particular how the process of engaging with art is affected by us knowing who is behind it. Explorations into this thorny issue have been particularly prevalent at London’s Royal College of Art through both the Secret Postcard show and now, the welcome return of Monika magazine.
Initially launched as an experiment at the RCA graduate show in 2009, Monika describes itself as “the anonymous journal of art and culture” and turned quite a few heads with both its first and second issue (released the following year). Then it disappeared but now Monika is back with a new issue themed around wildlife, examined through essays, interviews, artworks and illustrations.
It retains its original mission; to be “a challenge inspired by a contemporary art scene that tends to put too much weight on a name” and those behind it are well aware that their approach may split opinion, admitting that: “Some might say Monika’s premise is annoying, some find it refreshing.”
Wherever you stand on the starting point it’s undoubtedly a fine-looking object, designed with a clarity and skill that anchors it well away from self indulgent pretentiousness. Welcome back Monika.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant