We like Cass McCombs. For his name, mainly, then his music, then for his ability to make powerful songs like this one that pay tribute to spectacular actresses like the late, great Karen Black. Karen was one of those oddly sexy women who commanded every film she was in with a magical kind of electricity and force, she was a mysterious dark horse that never really got the level of notoriety she deserved. Cass penned a track with Karen, then asked her husband Stephen Eckelberry to help make an extraordinary video to accompany it.
Stephen says of the project, “Cass McCombs emailed me in late November 2013 and asked if I would create a music video for Brighter! using classic clips from her movies. It struck me as an opportunity to explore a theme that interests me – the relationship of film and memory. We watch a movie and the images from that movie become part of our memory stream. An image came to me: Cass himself becoming a screen for the projection of images of Karen – as if his memories of her were playing themselves out over his body. I found a clip I had shot with my iPhone when Cass was over at our house rehearsing the song with Karen, and I combined that with clips of her movies, some iconic, some more obscure."
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)