We like Cass McCombs. For his name, mainly, then his music, then for his ability to make powerful songs like this one that pay tribute to spectacular actresses like the late, great Karen Black. Karen was one of those oddly sexy women who commanded every film she was in with a magical kind of electricity and force, she was a mysterious dark horse that never really got the level of notoriety she deserved. Cass penned a track with Karen, then asked her husband Stephen Eckelberry to help make an extraordinary video to accompany it.
Stephen says of the project, “Cass McCombs emailed me in late November 2013 and asked if I would create a music video for Brighter! using classic clips from her movies. It struck me as an opportunity to explore a theme that interests me – the relationship of film and memory. We watch a movie and the images from that movie become part of our memory stream. An image came to me: Cass himself becoming a screen for the projection of images of Karen – as if his memories of her were playing themselves out over his body. I found a clip I had shot with my iPhone when Cass was over at our house rehearsing the song with Karen, and I combined that with clips of her movies, some iconic, some more obscure."
- Artist Henry Taylor takes over LA gallery Blum & Poe
- Accent magazine takes us behind the scenes of issue two
- Shannon Jager, a graphic designer combining the technical and the thoughtful
- The Gourmand visualises the intricate flavours of Glenmorangie whisky
- Victoria Vincent’s animation captures the tragic pitfalls of online dating
- Adam Birkan captures the diverse and juxtaposing landscape of Hanoi
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf