We’re quite the fans of Emily Kai Bock and so once again everything stopped in the It’s Nice That bat bunker at the announcement that Emily has created another stunning new music video. As we crowded round the screen, waiting in anticipation for Sebastien Schuller’s latest single to prime itself in HD, I think everybody was expecting to experience the ethereal – especially with the knowledge that this video saw the return of Emily’s collaboration with cinematographer Evan Prosofsky (the pairing which propelled Grimes’ Oblivion video onto the worlds cultural radar, becoming a defining moment in 2012).
Set against the vast achievements of the recent past, Emily’s latest video began to play, offering us up an emotive, evocative exploration that didn’t disappoint on any level. As you would expect, it’s shot beautifully, contrasting the bright, colourful environments that suggest a paradise full of fun-loving excitement and happiness with the narratives of characters isolated by their surroundings. There’s a reflective yearning in the faces of everyone the camera so eloquently focuses its gaze upon, culminating to produce something of real poignancy.
- The frustration of crazy golf embodied by student animation collective Megacomputeur
- Enormous 20ft Barbies and bluebottles in real-life locations, by photographer Michael John Hunter
- French animator Jon Boutin's quick-witted shorts will have you creasing
- The MIT Technology Review design team share their love of printed matter
- Gemma Mahoney, a graphic design student producing professional work
- By designers, for designers: Monotype’s font subscription service
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU