One year at Minneapolis College of Art & Design and two terms at Brighton University is all the education Micah Lidberg needed. His extraordinary illustrations are some of the finest we make eyes at, with his work being applied to many a platform – textiles, editorial, books and most recently an app (his Granimator is uh-mazing) – so we think he’s more than qualified to answer our questions about his shorter-than-the-norm art school experience…
The first couple images are from his student days, followed by some more recent pieces…
What advice, based on your own experience, would you offer those still studying?
Do as much as you can. Work, learn, play – whatever you can get you hands on. School is a great time to experience lots of different things in a short amount of time. If an exchange program is available, I’d recommend that for most people. Life after school is great but as you start to focus your path options start to drop off a little bit. Soak in the possibilities while you’re in school.
What other university experiences helped you on your way to what you’re doing now?
Studying abroad was big for me. It exposed me to a larger world and helped me make some really incredible and personal connections. I have since done a lot of fun collaborations that would’ve been near impossible if I had missed my time in Brighton.
What are the inspirations and resources that you would share with your student self?
I would have told myself that exploratory fields (science, technology, philosophy…) are really important. I didn’t follow them as much as a student as I do now. For general inspiration, a lot of the online resources I use today didn’t exist (or weren’t as great) when I was a student. It’s crazy how quickly things have developed within the last few years.
- Another week over, it's Best of the Web!
- Joseph Harmon's warped intricate works unveiled at new show in Brooklyn
- Sophie Littman captures the underlying awkwardness of a village orchestra
- New York-based agency T&T&T are in it for “$$$$$, fame and graphic bliss”
- The psychedelic world of Dexter Navy
- Photographer Ilyes Griyeb takes us to Senegal's salt lakes
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations