The best guides to the London Design Festival are those who are involved, so with this in mind we asked a selection of design world figures to give us the rundown on this year’s event. First up is Deyan Sudjic, director of The Design Museum.
What are you most looking forward to at this year’s festival?
I’m really looking forward to seeing John Pawson’s Perspectives installation at St Paul’s Cathedral.
What is the event, place or memory that really sums up the LDF for you?
For me the LDF is an opportunity for London design to take centre stage. The London Design Medal awards evening is always a highlight and for the Design Museum our annual Designers in Residence exhibition is a great platform for new design talent.
Any tips for LDF first-timers?
Head to east London to The Shoreditch Design Triangle and Tent at the Old Truman Brewery.
What’s the best way to relax after a long day at the LDF?
Dinner at The Dock Kitchen restaurant followed by a browse around the Tom Dixon shop.
What’s your favourite London design icon?
Kenneth Grange’s redesign of the iconic London Taxi is an international classic, and my favourite London building is the Royal College of Physicians, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun in the 1960s.
In three words, how would you describe the state of the UK design industry?
Vibrant, resourceful, creative.
- Yukai Du transports us to galaxies far, far away in TED-Ed animation
- Illustration galore: it's February's Things!
- The past, present and future of gaming on The It’s Nice That Podcast
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Hanne Berkaak’s deeply moving and sensitive animation tackling self-harm
- Apple to open its Norman Foster-designed campus in April