The best guides to the London Design Festival are those who are involved, so with this in mind we asked a selection of design world figures to give us the rundown on this year’s event. First up is Deyan Sudjic, director of The Design Museum.
What are you most looking forward to at this year’s festival?
I’m really looking forward to seeing John Pawson’s Perspectives installation at St Paul’s Cathedral.
What is the event, place or memory that really sums up the LDF for you?
For me the LDF is an opportunity for London design to take centre stage. The London Design Medal awards evening is always a highlight and for the Design Museum our annual Designers in Residence exhibition is a great platform for new design talent.
Any tips for LDF first-timers?
Head to east London to The Shoreditch Design Triangle and Tent at the Old Truman Brewery.
What’s the best way to relax after a long day at the LDF?
Dinner at The Dock Kitchen restaurant followed by a browse around the Tom Dixon shop.
What’s your favourite London design icon?
Kenneth Grange’s redesign of the iconic London Taxi is an international classic, and my favourite London building is the Royal College of Physicians, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun in the 1960s.
In three words, how would you describe the state of the UK design industry?
Vibrant, resourceful, creative.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting