Next up in to answer the My LDF posers is Mariel Brown of the research, trends and strategy team at SeymourPowell, who are running the Concept Lounge at The Gallery in Redchurch Street from today until Saturday.
What are you most looking forward to at this year’s festival?
This year I’m most looking forward to seeing the work of Studio Toogood. Last year they were a real highlight of the festival, so I’m interested to see what they’ll have this year.
What is the event, place or memory that really sums up the LDF for you?
For me it has to the The Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane – when I was a student at the RCA it was my first experience of enjoying the buzz of the London Design Festival.
Any tips for LDF first-timers?
Try to plan a route in advance, and ask other people for their advice on what they enjoyed.
What’s the best way to relax after a long day at the LDF?
Go to one of the free parties or openings that run most evenings during the festival, have a beer and chat with friends about what they enjoyed visiting that day.
What’s your favourite London design icon?
The London Underground map – so easy and helpful!
In three words, how would you describe the state of the UK design industry?
Blooming, despite constraints.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery