What are you most looking forward to at this year’s festival?
Having been sent more than enough press images and previews I’m looking forward to actually heading down to see some of the work in the flesh. The V&A will probably be the main draw along with (hopefully) some unexpected smaller pop-ups and shows in east London.
What is the event, place or memory that really sums up the LDF for you?
We were involved two years ago up at the Dock in Portobello and that always comes up pretty quickly when I think about it. After not doing anything last year we return this year with our publication and coverage and hopefully we’ll maintain an involvement in the years to come.
Any tips for LDF first-timers?
There is genuinely something for everyone. If I had to recommend one destination it’d probably be The V&A, but I think just don’t be too keen to tick things off – you aren’t going to see everything.
What’s the best way to relax after a long day at the LDF?
It’s difficult not to say the pub, and it’s always a good excuse to find yourself in a different part of town.
What’s your favourite London design icon?
The parks probably, yes there are the taxis, tubes and buses but London still does relaxing in the open air pretty well across the city.
In three words, how would you describe the state of the UK design industry?
On the up.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting