Inspiration can come from many sources – a curiously shaped cloud or a whimsical juxtaposition thrown up by urban life. But sometimes the whole process can be slightly more deliberate, which is where this great new book comes in. New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers does exactly what it says on the cover and is a magnificent resource for anyone interested in visual communication. Where it excels is in its breadth; the authors Charlotte and Peter Fiell are determined to recognise the excellent work of very big name studios (like Sagmeister & Walsh, Build and Barnbrook) but they are equally keen to flag up the next generation of design stars like Josh King, Alberto Hernandez and Finnish studio Tsto.
As well as a host of interesting and engaging visuals spanning almost every conceivable form of graphic design practice, each entry is accompanied by a statement outlining their particular design philosophy. Add in an admirably international reach spanning Europe and North America as well as Iran, China and India among others and you’re left with something really top-notch.New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers published by Goodman Fiell is out now.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August