Inspiration can come from many sources – a curiously shaped cloud or a whimsical juxtaposition thrown up by urban life. But sometimes the whole process can be slightly more deliberate, which is where this great new book comes in. New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers does exactly what it says on the cover and is a magnificent resource for anyone interested in visual communication. Where it excels is in its breadth; the authors Charlotte and Peter Fiell are determined to recognise the excellent work of very big name studios (like Sagmeister & Walsh, Build and Barnbrook) but they are equally keen to flag up the next generation of design stars like Josh King, Alberto Hernandez and Finnish studio Tsto.
As well as a host of interesting and engaging visuals spanning almost every conceivable form of graphic design practice, each entry is accompanied by a statement outlining their particular design philosophy. Add in an admirably international reach spanning Europe and North America as well as Iran, China and India among others and you’re left with something really top-notch.New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers published by Goodman Fiell is out now.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs