Inspiration can come from many sources – a curiously shaped cloud or a whimsical juxtaposition thrown up by urban life. But sometimes the whole process can be slightly more deliberate, which is where this great new book comes in. New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers does exactly what it says on the cover and is a magnificent resource for anyone interested in visual communication. Where it excels is in its breadth; the authors Charlotte and Peter Fiell are determined to recognise the excellent work of very big name studios (like Sagmeister & Walsh, Build and Barnbrook) but they are equally keen to flag up the next generation of design stars like Josh King, Alberto Hernandez and Finnish studio Tsto.
As well as a host of interesting and engaging visuals spanning almost every conceivable form of graphic design practice, each entry is accompanied by a statement outlining their particular design philosophy. Add in an admirably international reach spanning Europe and North America as well as Iran, China and India among others and you’re left with something really top-notch.New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers published by Goodman Fiell is out now.
- Camelot’s typefaces bring both the contemporary and historical to the table
- Scott Newett’s eerily quiet, ethereal portraits of Chinese utopia
- Jade Schulz’s atmospheric and imaginative editorial illustrations
- Emiliano Granado’s new zine puts a fresh spin on Tour de France fandom
- The big cover up: Mathieu Tremblin's translations of graffiti
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale