Inspiration can come from many sources – a curiously shaped cloud or a whimsical juxtaposition thrown up by urban life. But sometimes the whole process can be slightly more deliberate, which is where this great new book comes in. New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers does exactly what it says on the cover and is a magnificent resource for anyone interested in visual communication. Where it excels is in its breadth; the authors Charlotte and Peter Fiell are determined to recognise the excellent work of very big name studios (like Sagmeister & Walsh, Build and Barnbrook) but they are equally keen to flag up the next generation of design stars like Josh King, Alberto Hernandez and Finnish studio Tsto.
As well as a host of interesting and engaging visuals spanning almost every conceivable form of graphic design practice, each entry is accompanied by a statement outlining their particular design philosophy. Add in an admirably international reach spanning Europe and North America as well as Iran, China and India among others and you’re left with something really top-notch.New Graphic Design: The 100 Best Contemporary Graphic Designers published by Goodman Fiell is out now.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant