Next up in our Nicer Tuesdays magazine-themed talks is editor of The Independent Magazine Will Dean. Will spoke to us about the titles which have influenced his approach to the all-important cover decisions, referencing Bloomberg Businessweek‘s creative director Richard Turley for his wholly unique approach. He showed the audience some of his favourite covers, one of which was for the royal christening. “I managed to convince them that the best way for us to cover the royal christening was to hire the country’s best Kate Middleton lookalike, get a baby, and put them both in haute couture dresses…” The resulting image is impressive, to say the least. “I mean, I think we got away with it” he laughed. Will also revealed the dissatisfaction that comes from working on a weekly supplement – “the very fast turnaround means that arguably you’re never really happy with what you end up with” – and suggested that it’s this dissatisfaction which drives the progression of any publication.
Founded in 1991, Park Communications is considered by many to be London’s preeminent printer. With a roster of both corporate and cultural clients, Park is a one-stop-shop to translate, artwork, print and bind literature of many different kinds, from the finest coffee table books and catalogues, through FTSE annual reports, to niche market magazines and brochures. Working closely with clients to develop bespoke creative solutions, Park’s reputation is built on the highest quality, reliability and flexibility.
They have brought their professionalism to both our Printed Pages magazine and the It’s Nice That Annual 2013, and we look forward to working with them in 2014 and beyond. To contact Park, email Alison at email@example.com or via the website www.parkcom.co.uk.
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art inspo
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Design studio Build creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs