In March last year Canadian animator Nicolas Ménard was studying at the Université du Québec à Montréal, making his way through a graphic design degree. We crowned him Student of the Month for his beautifully abstract animations and strangely beguiling characters. Since then he’s relocated to the RCA to pursue a masters in animation, maintaining the same creative rigour as he did during his undergraduate study with some remarkably polished results.
When he’s not applying beautifully stylised calligraphic movement to the custom-drawn type treatments of his RCA peers he’s experimenting with sound design and creating weird anthropomorphic beasts that flex and congeal on screen. We wouldn’t want to rub it in that you saw him here first, but, y’know, you DID see him here first.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs