Talk to some people about typography and their little faces glaze over, a mixture of bemused boredom and slight fear playing across their emotions. But they don’t know what we know and it’s up to us converts to explain how fonts can be fascinating. A good place to point them to would be the new Novo Typo typefoundry just launched by Amsterdam graphic design studio Atelier van Wageningen.
The Dutch have not only opened up their archives with a host of interesting typefaces both self0initiated and designed for specific projects, it also provides a useful bit of backstory as to how and why these fonts came into being. Sometimes it’s relatively straightforward – inspiration comes from eastern European toilet doors (Sjablony) or " an homage to the anonymous typefaces we know from old printers before the offset era" (Plakaty). But elsewhere it’s somewhat more complex, as with the extraordinary range of fonts inspired by individual members of the family of Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space (indeed an interest in cosmology runs throughout).
This is definitely worth checking out.
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot by Jake Michaels in Tijuana
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg celebrated in new monograph
- Ronni Campana's photographic collection of badly repaired cars
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)