What does the digital studio love-child of Ryder Internet Archeology Ripps and Jonathan Vingiano look like? OKFocus – a remarkably ingenious portfolio of web wonders and playfully professional design solutions for the most contemporary of internet thinkers.
Proving “interfacing” does not have to be as lame as it sounds, OKFocus have a particularly viral sense of humour with the “STUFF WE’VE MADE FOR YOU!” section of their site featuring the compulsive likes of ARTorNOT (on a scale of one to ten, viewers decide if something is art a la customer feedback questionnaire) or the useful, self-explanatory, Is the L Tain F*cked? (today? “Nope”).
They are also distractingly effective at applying this sort of thing for brands too, with the difference between their personal and commercial work being a satisfyingly fuzzy area. For example, if you haven’t played on Tug of Store for Svpply, the “real time game where coolness is decided through clique democracy” then your time on the web has been wasted. Other notable projects from “PEOPLE WE’VE MADE THNGS FOR!” include Google and MOCA (the Land Art map we featured here last week) and the New Museum.
Finally, there are so many brilliant devices coming out of their “lab” section, like cursors that are actually magnifying glasses or a depth of field that changes as your mouse moves, which look like fun but are not useless at all when you take into account their applicability to commerce, social opinion via interaction and generally to communicate an interesting and original idea as to how a viewer might experience content.
- Marcie LaCerte’s obscure animation follows the pursuit of some summer love
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s