Everyone loves Olly Moss, and do you know why? Because he’s one of the only graphic designers out there who makes genuinely good homages to pop culture. Remember his Star Wars posters that made the knees of every nerd in the country knock together in wonder? He did those. Remember the spectacularly clever Oscars diagram where every Best Film winner was represented as an award? He did that too.
So now for Olly’s latest venture — a set of plates designed in the willow pattern style of yore. Like the ancient originals, these plates are adorned with heroes and legendary stories. For Olly though, the legendary stories he wanted to portray were the ones the gamers among us can completely relate to — the tales from Zelda: Link’s Awakening and some early GameBoy Pokemon scenes. Hats off to you Olly, this is hands-down the coolest and nerdiest thing we’ve seen all year. Please say they’re for sale.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages