Everyone loves Olly Moss, and do you know why? Because he’s one of the only graphic designers out there who makes genuinely good homages to pop culture. Remember his Star Wars posters that made the knees of every nerd in the country knock together in wonder? He did those. Remember the spectacularly clever Oscars diagram where every Best Film winner was represented as an award? He did that too.
So now for Olly’s latest venture — a set of plates designed in the willow pattern style of yore. Like the ancient originals, these plates are adorned with heroes and legendary stories. For Olly though, the legendary stories he wanted to portray were the ones the gamers among us can completely relate to — the tales from Zelda: Link’s Awakening and some early GameBoy Pokemon scenes. Hats off to you Olly, this is hands-down the coolest and nerdiest thing we’ve seen all year. Please say they’re for sale.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk to follow on social media
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery